CPUEST for B.Tech


What is a Student Visa?

Depending on the purpose of visit, India offers various kinds of visas. Student Visa is a visa specifically for the students wanting to come to India for education purpose. Generally Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognized colleges or educational institutions in India. However it is the discretion of the Indian High Commission to decide the duration of the Student Visa. The children of NRIs and PIOs cardholders need not procure a Student Visa. Other international students need Student Visa or Research Visa for Doctoral level courses.

What are the pre-requisites for procuring a Student Visa?

In order to apply or be eligible for a Student Visa, you need to conform to the following conditions:-

If you are on Government of India scholarships, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to issue a regular Student Visa after your admission in an Indian university/Institute is confirmed.
If you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce admission confirmation letter of admission (Acceptance Letter) of CPU.
If you are coming as a research student, synopsis of the research project countersigned by the sponsoring institution in India along with letter of approval and No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the concerned Ministries in India should be submitted for necessary visa.

Note: Processing of applications for research may take about three months

Can I get the visa even if I don’t have a confirmed admission letter?

If you are not having confirmation letters of admission from a university or an institution you can get Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions abroad, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India.No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

Can I change my University/ College after coming to India?

No, it is not allowed to change the University/College. You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case, you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa

Can I get my Tourist Visa converted to a Student Visa?

If you come to India on Tourist or any other type of Visa, you cannot get that Visa changed to Student Visa. According to the government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a Tourist or any other type of Visa (except a Student Visa), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his/her home country and obtain a new visa (i.e. the Student Visa) from the Indian mission there.

Are there rules and regulations that I need to conform to while applying for Student Visa?

Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations:
Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India should accompany the visa application.
Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).
For citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time. Please refrain from making inquiries about the status of application during this time.

From where can one avail a Student Visa?

Student Visas can be obtained from any of the Indian Missions.

Can I get a Student Visa directly from Indian Missions abroad?

Yes, you can get a Student Visa from Indian Missions abroad, provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognized institute in India.

How much is the Student Visa fee?

The Student Visa fee depends on the nationality of the passport holder and type/duration of visa applied. This fee is payable in the local currency as well. Please check with the Indian embassy in your country for exact visa fee.

What are the formalities that international students should do on arrival?

International students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register themselves with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival.

What is FRRO registration and how we can register?

It is mandatory for all international students to register themselves with local FRRO, within 14 days of their arrival in India (arrival date mentioned on Visa), from 15th day late registration fee USD 30$ (Rs 1800) will be charged by FRRO Office. Student has to register him/her self by using the link http://indianfrro.gov.in/frro

Following documents are required for registration:-FormatMax size
1) Passport (Photo and validity page).pdf200 KB
2) Visa (visa and immigration stamp page).pdf200 KB
3) Bonafide certificate for Registration.pdf200 KB
4) Local address proof (Hostlers can upload Bonafide certificate).pdf200 KB
5) Photograph (passport size).jpg50 KB

For any information feel free to visit, CP Tower, Road No. 1, IPIA, Kota (Raj.) India - 324005

Enquiry Now
Enquiry Now